Buying a Silencer / Suppressor or Machine Gun

We are a Class II dealer or also known as a Class III.

Contrary the many people that believe that silencers were not legal to own is incorrect. Silencers have always been legal to own under federal law. At this time, the following states allow private ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, ND, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WV, and WY. Of the fourteen states that do not allow civilian ownership, CA, IA, MA, MO, and MI allow Class 3 dealers to possess silencers.

Silencers, like machine-guns, are regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934, and are regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. The procedure for owning a suppressor may seem daunting at first, but actually requires less paperwork than buying a car.

To legally purchase a suppressors or any item falling under the National Firearms Act (NFA), you must be at least 21 years of age, a resident of the United States, and have no felony record. The first step is to locate a Class 3 dealer in your state who will accept the item you are interested in. Once the suppressor has been transferred to the Class 3 dealer, (Please Check with the Dealer regarding Paperwork Fees) they will provide the prospective purchaser with duplicate ATF Form 4’s and two sets of fingerprint cards. The Form 4’s must be filled out on both sides, with passport photos of the prospective buyer affixed to the backside of the form. The buyer then has the Chief Law-Enforcement officer sign the rear of the Form 4’s attesting the prospective purchaser does not possess a criminal record and is not wanted. The two fingerprint cards must be completed and signed by a Law Enforcement agency. The completed paperwork is then sent to ATF with a check or money order for $200.00. The $200.00 is known as a “transfer tax” because it must be paid whenever ownership of the silencer is “transferred” (in this case, the dealer to the prospective purchaser). As long as ownership remains with the same person, the tax need not be paid again. Only if the owner sells it will a new transfer tax need to be paid. An owner may will his silencer to a lawful heir with no tax incurred.

Once the paper work is submitted, it normally takes 90 to 120 days to receive the approved, stamped paperwork from the NFA Branch. It is only upon the return of the approved paperwork that the dealer can allow the prospective purchaser to take possession of their new silencer. A copy of the approved paperwork must accompany the silencer at all times (the original should be stored in a safe deposit box). Silencers can be transported to other states that allow their ownership, but to transport a silencer into one of the states which prohibit private ownership can subject the owner to serious state felony charges.

Silencers are ILLEGAL for individuals in the following States

DE, DC, HI, IL, MS, MT, NY, NJ, RI; Class 3 dealers only in: CA, KS, MO, and MN

We will take care of all the paper work needed in order to help you get your silencer home.